Thursday, April 15, 2010

On The Edge

As most of you have been able to tell, I have been kind of quiet lately blog-wise. The reason is simple. A 1-8 start to a season, including 2 games decided by blown saves from your new $12 million 'closer', 2 games affected by errors from your new 3rd baseman who has never played third base until this season, a non-existent offense, your favorite player on the DL, etc etc... I have been coming perilously closer to 'the edge.'

I got so mad, I dropped 2 Orioles from my fantasy team already, with some others soon to follow unless the start showing a pulse. Goodbye Garrett Atkins and Nolan Reimold. Cutting Reimold upset me the most because max and I both like the guy and we both sport our Reimold T-shirts on a regular basis.

I came close to dropping Nick Markakis (no longer referred to as STICK until he learns to take the stick off his shoulder), but I still believe he will bust out so I held on to him for a little while longer....

I will not drop Brian Roberts. Also, Brian Matusz will be on my team as long as he is in the majors. I think the kid will throw a no-hitter soon and is probably one of the better pitchers on the team.

I know it is early in the season, but I am already getting tired of people telling me that, and it will be ok, and blah blah blah.

I have watched the team collapse every september since 2001 or 2002. I have witnessed 12-straight losing seasons. I watched them let Mike Mussina sign with the Yankees. They let Davey Johnson go which started a revolving door in the manager's office.

I have invested at least 22 years of my life in this team. I have every right to be pissed off about the state of the Orioles. I have every right to kick my hat across an empty field (which I did yesterday). I have every right to be critical of the players I enjoy. I help pay their salaries.

Personally, I still believe it is just a crappy start and come June, the Orioles record will be much better. You can't argue that their schedule has been brutal 16 straight games without an off day. Playing in series this month against: Tampa, Boston, NY, Twins... Whoever makes the schedule needs to be shot.

Ok, enough complaining. I know they suck. They were supposed to be improved this season. What would really cheep me up would be to see them have a winning record over their 12 games coming up against New York and Boston. That would heal the wounds that the first week of the season had caused.

3 comments:

TheBrooklynMet said...

I understand, but another way of looking at the situation is that they simply made a horrible decision about the closer. Who did they get in return for the Sherrill deal? Was it worth it?

Anthony K. said...

Hey, at least it didn't take the Orioles NINE games to win a game, so as an Atros fan, I understand.

PAB said...

I didn't know that Mike Gonzalez was your favorite player?!?

At least the record is better than least the 88 Orioles.