Wednesday, October 14, 2020

TTM Success - Gene Tenace

These was a lot of sweating prior to and during this TTM request that I sent to Gene Tenace.  It started with finding a needle in a haystack by seeing this Yogi Berra signed 1987 Topps Astros leaders card at the Cleveland National a couple years ago.  I picked it up for $20 and put it in my 87 album.  When I saw a Hal Lanier signing finally come up, I sent it off to him.  Lanier is spotty lately with TTM returns, so I wanted the assurance of locking in with a paid signing and getting my card done that way.  It is still risky, of course, because things can happen and cards can get wrecked when sending through the mail.  The card came back from the Lanier signing, and I was ready to send it off to Denis Menke, who I have gotten TTM from before.  I believe the guy who ran the Lanier signing told Menke the card was coming, and it got back to me signed really fast (9 days).  Finally, I turned it around and sent to Gene Tenace, who signs through PastPros.  This awesome card is now complete and has its place in my 87 album.

I also sent off this 1973 Topps buyback that I had pulled several years ago.  It also turned out well, but definitely takes a back seat to the Astros Leaders card.

Tenace (b. 1946) played in the majors from 1969 to 1983 for the A's, Padres, Cardinals and Pirates.  He had 1,060 hits, 201 home runs and a .241 batting average.  He was an All Star in 1975 and his best MVP finish was 18th (1975 and 1976, AL).  He won the World Series four times (1972-1974 - Oakland and 1982 - St Louis); he was the 1972 World Series MVP.

Tenace managedthe Blue Jays for 33 games in 1991 and amassed a 19-14 record (.576%)

Tenace appeared on the 1989 Hall of Fame ballot, but received only 0.2% of the vote.  I mailed to Tenace on July 23 and got the cards back on July 31, for an 8-day TAT.  I paid a fee of $15/card plus PastPros handling fees.  I paid $20 for the card; $15 for the Lanier signing, and Menke was free.  So, I put over $50 into the card to get it completed, and I'm certain it is worth far more than that.  I'm just happy to have it completed.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Congratulations! That is a beautiful card!

GCA said...

I've got a Tenace PC and will have to find one of those Yogified minis