Friday, October 19, 2018

TTM Success - Ozzie Smith

This was probably my worst experience with a private signing since I started using them earlier this year, but the cards I sent off finally came back.  Supposedly, the guy who ran this signing is one of the best, but I never felt like I was a "valued" customer.  I answered the private signing when I saw that I could get Ozzie Smith at a reasonable rate.  Since he was on these two cards, I figured I would try to go ahead and get these done at $35 a pop.
Smith is also on the 1987 Topps Cardinals Team Leaders card, but I'm not overly concerned about adding him to that one at the moment.  I'm just glad these came back.  The signing was for four players, actually, and I spent a good amount of money for it, but several emails and a long wait finally paid off.

Smith (b. 1954) played in the majors from 1978 to 1991 for the Padres and Cardinals.  He had 2.460 hits, 28 home runs and a .262 batting average.  He was a 15-time All Star (1981 to 1992 and 1994 to 1996) and a 13-time Gold Glove Award winner (1980 to 1992).  His best MVP finish was 2nd in 1987.  He won the World Series with the Cardinals in 1982 and was the 1985 NLCS MVP.

Smith was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2002 (first ballot) when he was named on 91.7% of the ballot.

I sent to the private signing on March 3 and got the cards back on August 29, for a 179-day TAT.  The cards were supposed to come back at the end of March.

No comments: