Monday, September 8, 2014

Care Package From Alex R.

I got a care package in the mail a few days ago from my friend, Alex, from the Chicago area.  I believe this is my third package from him and he seems to have some good luck in pulling O's cards. The above 1989 design Chris Davis is a really awesome looking card.  The first batch of cards I ever got was from the 1989 set, so it will always have special significance for me.  The set itself may not be worth much at all, but it will always be a favorite of mine and I know there are others out there who share the same feelings.
I do like some colored parallels as well, however, I still believe that Topps could have picked any other shade of green and these cards would look a lot better.  I'm no design major, but doo doo green is just not aesthetically pleasing to me.
Ah, that's more like it.  I like the blue parallels.  This is a great shot of young Gausman, who now sports glasses. Like me.  Woo hoo.  Anyway, Topps is cranking out various colored parallels and rainbows of cards are ever challenging, but when I get some for free from my friends, I am definitely appreciative.
Finally, here is an intriguing card that Alex sent along.  This 1996 Leaf autograph (on card) of Jimmy Myers appears to have been issued following 1996 Spring Training as the card states that Myers was a surprise in ST.  He was a non-rosted invitee who made the trip north for Opening Day that season.  A look at Myers's baseball-reference page shows that his miracle ST didn't last long as he appeared in 11 games for the 1996 O's.  He had a 7.07 ERA with a 0-0 won/loss record.  This would be the only taste of the majors he would receive and those Orioles would go on to lost in the ALCS to some team whose name escapes me at the moment.......... bad memories.

Anyway, thanks so much for the care package, Alex.  I really appreciate it!  I'll be sending some Hanley Ramirez cards your way soon.

No comments: