Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mickey Mantle's Obituary

I woke up early this morning and decided to do a little bit of cleaning in the Man Cave.  In one of the closets, I have my old foot locker that my grandfather gave me for Christmas back when I was 8 or 9 or so.  It is actually one of the Christmas presents from my childhood that I distinctly remember and probably have gotten the most use of.  I use my foot locker (which, after 20+ years, is a bit of disrepair) to store old magazines, newspapers, comic books, starting lineup figures, a Cal Ripken Wheaties box, etc.  You get the idea.

Well, while going through the foot locker this morning, I found a Mickey Mantle Legends magazine.  When flipping through the magazine, a folded-up newspaper article fell out.  I unfolded the article to find the obituary for Mantle that was printed in the Winston-Salem Journal upon his death in August 1995.

I know it is kind of morbid, but it is baseball history and I wanted to share with you something I put away in 1995 and stored for all these years.

Also, I apologize for the scans, as newspaper articles are kind of hard to fit onto my scanner and are even harder to read, once they've been scanned.  I hope you are able to read the whole article.  You should be able to click on the pictures to read them better, I think.

Please let me know your thoughts.




1 comment:

Jim from Downingtown said...

Thank you for this post. Although I didn't get to see him play very much (I started watching baseball in 1967, and then mostly the National League), Mantle was my generation's Babe Ruth. I knew I was old the day he died.