Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Mail Day - Virgil Trucks Rookie Card and More!

I came home from work today to find a nice bit of mail waiting for me.  The most important pieces being the 1948-49 Leaf Virgil Trucks short printed rookie card that I have had my eye on for a long time as well as a letter from Mr. Trucks himself!

First off, I had (again) saved up a bunch of expense checks from work and used them on some Ebay purchases the other day.  I thought about buying a high-end signed baseball, but instead decided to buy this 'reasonably' prices 1948 Leaf.  It was the only base issue Trucks card that I did not have from his playing days, so I had been waning it for some time.  Thing is, A: The 1948-49 Leaf set is really hard to find, B: this is considered his rookie card and C: this particular card was short printed.  I have seen versions of this card graded PSA 3 going for $480 on Ebay.  I got this one for much less than that.

As you can see, there is a bit of paper loss on the back.  The missing words are: "52 defeats."
Also, I sent Mr. Trucks a Christmas card along with a donation to his church as a thank you for all he has done for me and for fans everywhere.  His response was very nice.  He also included 5 autographed Diamond Signatures cards for me to "give to kids or use as [I] wish..."

I have started a page on this blog showcasing my Virgil Trucks collection.  Please give it a look and let me know what you think.  Mr. Trucks is one of my all-time favorite players and I am happy to be able to show off his cards and memorabilia.

4 comments:

Ryan H said...

Congrats on the card purchase!

osupremegrandmotherone said...

Didn't have my bifocals on so I couldn't make out the letter Mr.Trucks sent you. I wish you had written it out but I will get you to read it to me when I see you.
Love you, Momma

William Regenthal said...

Did you try clicking on the picture? If you do that, it should be big enough for you to read it.

osupremegrandmotherone said...

Yeah! It worked! That was very sweet of you to send him money for his church.