Sunday, November 22, 2009

Boredom leads to:

going through boxes. I did, however, find some decent stuff. While sitting around wondering where everyone else is, I dug out all the card boxes my loving wife stacked in the closet, then proceeded to bury underneath sleeping bags, comforters, etc etc...
I was really happy to find these Bowman Heritage cards of Nolan Reimold and Brandon Snyder. Two future stars of the Orioles. Hooray for me.

I also went through my 'Random Orioles Box.' It kind of made me sad because this 5,000 count box is full of mostly 'could have beens', 'never was's' and 'Who's?'. For example, I found cards of supposed Oriole prospects: Curtis Goodwin, Jeff Manto, Mike Paradis, Ben McDonald, Keith Reid, Adam Loewen, Sherman Obando and Jorge Julio.

I found cards of players the Os signed waaaay past their prime: Dwight Evans, Fred Lynn, Bobby Bonilla, Javy Lopez and Marty Cordova.

I also saw some groan enducing players as well: Glenn Davis, Curt Schilling, Albert Belle, Miguel Tejada, Will Clark, Sammy Sosa and Sidney Ponson.

Finally, I did see a few who made me smile: Bill Ripken, BJ Surhoff, Brady Anderson and Chris Hoiles.

The Orioles have had some good players in their past, and they have had some that make you think 'Why God, why???' Why oh why did they trade for Sammy Sosa? Why did they trade away Curt Schilling and Steve Finley for Glenn Davis? Gaaaah.

I just hope some of the newer Os (Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Reimold, Matusz, Tillman, etc) have great and successful careers, so in a few years my Os box will be more like a treasure chest instead of a house of horrors.

No comments: