Tuesday, July 28, 2020

TTM Success - Mel Held

I found another former Oriole in my 1991 Crown set who is on the list of 100 oldest living former MLB players in Mel Held.  I went ahead and sent the 91 Crown, along with the below 2019 Topps Ballpark Evolution card, since I had no other cards for Held.
Held (b. 1929) appeared in 4 games for the Orioles in 1956.  He scored no wins or losses, but had 4 strike outs and a 5.14 ERA.  I mailed to Held on May 11 and got the cards back on May 22, for an 11-day TAT.  I got the envelope back and it had been ripped in half by USPS, but luckily the cards were intact.
Additionally, Held wrote me the nice note seen above.  I really like it when the player takes the time to write back, even if it is a few sentences.  I'll file this note away with all of the other ones that I have gotten over the years.  I really treasure these things.

No comments: