Sunday, December 10, 2017

Hall of Fame Signed Baseball - Jack Morris

Much to my surprise, I was able to add a new baseball to my Hall of Fame signed baseball collection without spending a dime.  I thought the Veterans Committee vote was later in the week this week, but the results were actually announced tonight.  Alan Trammell and Jack Morris were announced as the newest electees to the National Baseball Hall of Fame.  I thought maybe one of them would get in, but both of them made the cut, anf Ted Simmons was really close.  I'm happy to see both of these guys make it, as they had been discussed for quite a long time, and it really didn't make sense that neither was in.

Morris (b. 1955) played in the majors from 1977 to 1994 for the Tigers, Twins, Blue Jays and Indians.  He had a career record of 254-186 with 2,478 strike outs and a 3.90 ERA.  Morris won 20 or more games three times in his career.  His best finish for the Cy Young Award was 3rd, which he achieved twice (1981 and 1983).  His best finish in the MVP voting was 13th (1991 and 1992).  He won the World Series in 1984 with the Tigers, 1991 with the Twins and 1992 with the Blue Jays.  He was also on the 1993 Blue Jays which won the World Series, but he did not pitch in those playoffs.  He was the 1991 World Series MVP.

Morris appeared on the Hall of Fame ballot for 15 years from 2000 to 2014 and reached as high as 67.7% of the vote.

I haven't added very many Hall of Fame baseballs to the collection this year.  With the selection og Morris to the Hall, he becomes my 134th Hall of Famer in my collection.

I picked up this ball on Black Friday in 2013 as a purchase of Historic Autographs Ball of Fame II.  I loved that product and now the value has shot up a little bit for me!  You can read about the hit here.

No comments: