Thursday, August 4, 2016

National Day Two Pickup - 1991 Topps Desert Shield Cal Ripken

I'm wore out from another day at the National Card Show.  Today was the first full day, and I was able to add a good bit of stuff to the collection.  One of my Top Ten Wishlist items was crossed off of the list today in this 1991 Topps Desert Shield card.

I had asked a couple dealers as the day went on to see if any were available, but didn't have much luck.  I ended up picking up a few inserts and parallels as I walked around the show.  I stopped at one dealer about halfway through the day and asked him if he had one, he laughed, and said he thought he did, but wasn't sure if he could put his hands on it.

Luckily, he was able to find it in one of his boxes!  I'm glad I asked about it!  So, for $100.00, I was able to pick this card up.

If you don't know about them, the Desert Shield cards were issued by Topps to servicemen and women in Iraq during Operation Desert Shield.  Not many of the cards made their way back stateside after the conflict, so these are very rare cards.  The Cal Ripken, Nolan Ryan and the Chipper Jones RC are all the most sought-after cards in the set.

I'm really happy I was able to get this card and cross it off of the list!

No comments: