Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Hall of Fame Signed Baseball - Craig Biggio

When the signer list for this year's National came out, I wanted to get as many Hall of Famers that I needed for the collection as I could.  After looking at the prices, I decided that I probably ought to stick with maybe only one, instead.  You know, since Pedro, Piazza, et al, all went for north of $100 each.

Instead, I chose one guy I needed, and also got a voucher for a guy I think will be in the Hall later on (and who will be blogged later).  I chose Craig Biggio over some of the other guys that I needed, not only because his price was the most affordable, but also because my friends and I have a nice running joke about what we think his signature looks like.  I will leave it to your imagination, but "something on a skateboard" will get you pretty close...

Biggio was really nice, in the brief moment that Andrew and I talked to him.  I am disappointed to note that the photo I took of Andrew and Biggio turned out blurry as crap (thanks cell phone camera).  Sorry, Andrew.

Biggio (b. 1965) played in the majors from 1988 to 2007 with the Astros.  He had 3,060 hits, 291 home runs and a .281 career batting average.  He was a 7-time All Star and won the Silver Slugger award 5 times.  He was also a 4-time Gold Glove Award winner.  He finished as high as 4th in the MVP voting (1997).  Biggio was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2015 on his third ballot when he received 82.7% of the vote.  He is my 126th Hall of Famer.

No comments: