Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Thinking of Baltimore

I am not going to sit here and act like I am at all qualified to make any kind of social commentary on the events that have gone on in Baltimore.  However, there is a lot of unrest going on and the last two Orioles games have been postponed due to safety concerns at the ballpark and in the city.  Tomorrow's game will be played at 2:05, but it will be closed to the public.  I have never heard of any major sporting event being played without any fans in attendance.  I'm sure it will be surreal.

I am not normally one who does a lot of praying, but tonight, I pray for my friends in and around Baltimore.  I pray for the city that I have visited countless times that it can heal and rebuild.  Finally, I pray for the folks who believe that their idea of "protesting injustice" includes destroying their own neighborhoods as well as stealing Pringles, Arizona Tea and Funyuns.    No one is being honored by that type of behavior.  I hope that reason wins out in the end and the unrest is quelled.

I also want to take a minute to thank everyone who has messaged me to check on me.  I was surprised that a lot of folks think I am actually from Baltimore.  I'm not, I'm from North Carolina, but the concern showed is definitely appreciated.

So, now, I leave you with a video from Game 2 of the 2014 ALDS when the city was united and, if only for a moment, we all cheered as one.

No comments: