Monday, January 6, 2014

Top 10 Wishlist Pickup - 1948 Bowman Yogi Berra RC

Wow.  I'm only 6 days into the New Year and I have already knocked off 30% of my Top 10 wishlist.  I picked up this 1948 Bowman Yogi Berra RC off of Ebay on the same day that I got my 1953 Topps Satchel Paige.  The Berra came in the mail today.
Getting this Yogi Berra RC is a huge deal for me.  He marks the last of the high-end rookie cards that I needed for the 1948 set I've slowly been piecing together since 2010.  I was able to land the Feller and Musial rookies very cheaply (with a lot of luck) and I got the Kiner and Schoendienst cards at reasonable prices as well.  Getting the Berra at a reasonable price has been an issue for a while, not only because he is a Hall of Famer, but his status as Yankee Legend makes his cards carry an extra premium.

I'm ecstatic that I now own this card.  As you all know, I'm no Yankee fan, but I am a baseball fan and Yogi is a National Treasure.  He is a great ambassador for all that was and is right in baseball.  He is well up there in years now and won't be around much longer, but it really is nice to wind up with one of his rookie cards and be able to reflect on his life and career while he is still around.

I now need only 24 more cards to complete the 1948 Bowman set.  This Yogi Berra RC has officially put me at the halfway point and I have already gotten the toughest cards out of the way.  As they say, it's downhill from here.

No comments: