Thursday, June 13, 2013

From My Brother - 1986 Donruss Andres Galarraga RC

I went to visit my parents' recently and spent a little bit of time across the street at my brother's house showing him how to work Ebay and how to look up my blog.  I hope the lesson stuck.  Anyway, on my way out the door, John gave me the above 1986 Donruss Andres Galarraga RC.  I have always liked the design of 1986 Donruss.  I actually own the 1986 Donruss Highlights set, but that is a copper colored set as opposed to the blue you see above.  This card is in great shape, as my brother is a real stickler for condition.  He had 2 of the Galarragas, so he was ok with parting with this one.

Galarraga (b. 1961) played in the majors from 1985 to 1998 and 2000 to 2004 for the Expos, Cardinals, Rockies, Braves, Rangers, Giants and Angels.  He missed the 1999 season while he battled cancer.  In his career, he had 2,333 hits, 399 home runs and a .288 lifetime batting average.  He was the 1993 NL batting champion when he hit .370 for the Rockies.  He was an All Star 5 times in his career and won 2 Gold Glove and one Silver Slugger awards.  He appeared on the 2004 Hall of Fame ballot but got only 4.1% of the vote.  I don't think he ever gets in, but he was still a heck of a player.

I definitely have to thank my brother for this RC of The Big Cat.  I always liked Galarraga.  He won a lot of Sega baseball games for me.  I played a season on one of the games as the Rockies and I think he hit over 100 home runs for me.

No comments: