Thursday, February 9, 2012

Some Card Shop Pickups

I went to the Greenville card shop a couple weeks ago to pick up some trade supplies and decided to dig through their dollar box to see what I could find.  I ended up with a couple cards that I thought looked really nice and were of players who I really admired.

The first card is this 2004 Sweet Spot Classic Hank Greenberg.  Like I said in my previous post, I really enjoy the Sweet Spot Classic and Legendary Cuts sets.  Anytime you can get a Hank Greenberg card for a dollar is a good day, so I was glad to add this to my collection.  Greenberg was a beast.  I was reading recently in a book called "The Only Game in Town"  and learned that Hank Greenberg taught Ralph Kiner some pointers early in his career that led Kiner to become to power hitter than he was known for.  You always think of Greenberg as a Tiger but he did end his career at a Pirate.
Another card I got was this 2005 Legendary Cuts Jim Palmer.  This one would have looked great autographed if I had it with me when I went to Fan Fest, but oh well, it looks great anyway!

I love digging through the bargain boxes at local shops and card shows.  You never know what you will find and can usually find some stuff from some of those older sets that may be forgotten but look great!

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Sweet Spot cards are nice! I picked up one of these cards, but it was a Joe Dimaggio. You can find some nice random stuff in the dollar box.

Jeff Laws said...

I just picked up the 2005 Legendary Cuts of Billy Williams and Tom Seaver, both player collections of mine. I usually try to pick a bunch of cheap cards up but I saw those 2 and spent the last of my ebay bucks on them.

I definitely like the looks of them.