Tuesday, September 27, 2011

I Finally Got an Antique Baseball

I picked up this awesome baseball from Ebay recently.  I have been looking for antique baseballs over the last couple months and have finally gotten one.  I had no idea how expensive they were (I've seen some figure eight style baseballs selling for $200.00 on ebay).

 After doing a Google search on antique baseballs, if this is an Official ball, then it would date to between 1901 to 1934.  The A. J. Reach company manufactured baseballs for the AL with red and blue stitching beginning in 1901 and ending in 1934.  Spalding made baseballs for the NL with black and red stitching starting in 1911.  Looking closely at the ball, the stitches look blue.  Some previous owner of the ball scratched 'Babe Ruth' into the ball.

No, there is no way it is an autograph.  It is clearly scratched into the ball.

I imagine some kid owned it back in the late 20s - early 30s and imagined themselves calling a home run shot.  What would be really awesome, but never able to be proven would be if this ball was a Ruth home run ball.  Or maybe a foul ball?  The speculation is endless.
My thinking is that this ball looks amazing and I am really happy to have it in my collection.  If anyone knows more about antique baseballs and would like to shed some light on this, please feel free to do so.  I'm curious as to the origins of this beauty and would like to know more.

5 comments:

ernest said...

i wonder why there's a bunch of shellacking on it. that's pretty unusual for a vintage ball unless it had some special significance, i.e. autograph, home run ball or maybe first ball caught by fan at a game. Oh, the stories it could tell

William Regenthal said...

I emailed the lady I got it from to see if she knew any of the history of the ball. Haven't gotten a response, yet, but if I do, I'll be sure to put it in a future post.

Michael Lees said...

Sweet ball, just imagine the history that ball has been around to see.

Drew said...

Dude that ball is so cool looking! I'm glad you were able to add it to your collection!

DougM said...

Does your ball have any printing on it? Such as the name of the manufacturer? I'm writing a novel and there's a scene in a baseball card shop where the hero sees a 1908 baseball, and I'd like to describe it accurately. Thanks!