Sunday, November 19, 2017

TTM Success - Al Kaline

Lately, I have been working to add some really big cards and names to my autograph album.  It has been a slow process, since a lot of them charge money, but I have been able to get a few.  This success from Hall of Famer, Al Kaline is one of the bigger TTM successes that I have been able to get.

The above 1960 Topps has been in my collection for a long time.  I can't remember how or when I got it, but it was in my vintage box of stars for several years.  Probably back when I first got back into collecting, really.  I don't think I will get to the 1960 set anytime soon, so I went ahead and worked on getting this one signed.
A long, long time ago, I bought a 1963 Topps Kaline as a gift for my friend, Max (not the one in Chicago, the other Max), and thought to myself that the 1963 may be Kaline's best card.  When I decided I wanted to send to him TTM, I went on Ebay and picked a 1963 up so I could send it as well.

Both cards came back looking great, and I am happy that I sent them off.

Kaline (b. 1934) played in the majors from 1953 to 1974 for the Tigers.  He had 3,007 hits, 399 home runs and a .297 batting average.  He was an 18-time All Star and 10-time Gold Glove Award winner.  He never won an MVP award, but his best finish was 2nd, which he accomplished twice (1955 and 1963).  He was the 1955 AL Batting  Champion and won the World Series in 1968.

Kaline was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1980, his first time on the ballot.  He garnered 88.3% of the vote.

I mailed to Kaline on November 3 and got the cards back on November 13, for a 10-day TAT.  I paid his fee of $10/card.

No comments: